Thursday 20 June 2013

MAKING SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING . . .


That's what we do, all us would-be scribes . . . Pull universes into existence . . . Conceive creatures, fully formed . . . Sketch three-dimensional (what three? seven-dimensional) worlds -- on flat pages . . .

We start arguments -- arguments no-one had until we showed up, with our axes that need grinding, and our itches that need to be scratched.

We create horrible problems for innocent, undeserving people . . . We pitch the unprepared into seas of violent turmoil . . . Stack the odds impossibly . . . Commit theft, torture, terror, treason . . .

But we also make the sun rise . . . And flowers clothe the meadows . . . And mercy fill the hearts of men -- because we wish it so. And all in the name of . . . Story, a god as ancient as time.

And that's what I'm doing here today -- making something out of nothing. Because today is the first day of the rest of my blog.

This will be the travelogue of a journeying writer and screenwriter.

It's a journey for which I have prepared -- in fact over-prepared myself in some respects -- for several years; firstly in my roustabout, school-of-life twenties, and later at the media coalface as an advertising  copywriter -- a soul-jeopardising enterprise from which, I think, I've emerged intact.  


'Destination Unknown', Maynard Dixon, 1938

I'm hoping you'll take this journey with me, as I take on the challenges of becoming a produced Screenwriter and Playwright, and published Fiction Writer to boot.

Importantly, I'm about to do it in the midst of a revolution -- the new Information and Social Media Age.

We may have a faltering start. But this will get interesting, I'm betting... Really bloody interesting!

Stick close. And keep the hammer cocked.

(Originally posted, WritersCut.net, 4/6/2012.)

No comments:

Post a Comment